In the cemetry
a mile away
from where we used to live
my aunts and mother,
my father and uncles lie
in two long rows almost the way
they used to sit around
the long planked table
at family dinners.
And walking beside
the graves today, down
one straight path
and up the next,
I don't feel sad
for them, just left out a bit
as if they kept
from me the kind
of grown-up secret
they used to share
back then, something
I'm not quite ready yet
to learn.
- Linda Pastan
While I read this poem it brought me back to when I was walking through the Loveland cemetry trying to find Trevor's grave. It was later that day after his funeral, so his gave was not yet marked with a toomstone, but I was determined to find it. As I walked up and down the rows I started thinking about all the people that I know there and how I didnt feel sad being there, but I felt like there was something more that I was missing out on, some secret that still needed to be told. This poem really reflected those same feelings to me, makes me wonder if there is something greater out there. In this huge world of wonder, what else is there? What exactly lies after death? I have my beliefs as you do yours, but we will never know until we experience it for ourselves, so instead of wallowing in the unknown, it is better to enjoy life as of now because you never know when it will be your last day.
Nice connection. I think it's good to wonder about death sometimes. It makes us appreciate life more.
ReplyDelete