He follow us, he keeps track,
each day his lists are longer,
here, death, and hear,
something like it.
Mr. Fear we say in our dreams,
what do you have for me tonight?
And he looks through his sack,
his black sack of troubles.
Maybe he smiles when he finds
the right one. Maybe hes sorry.
Tell me Mr. Fear,
what must I carry
away from your dream.
Make is small please.
Let it fit in my pocket,
let it fall through
the hole in my pocket.
Fear let me have
a small brown bat
and a purse of crickets
like the ones I heard
singing last night
out there in the stubbly field
before I slept and met you.
While reading this poem I think of each stanza as one little part. The first stanza to mean just talks about death and that is something that many people fear, so it would be aproppriate to put that in this poem. The 2nd stanza is more of that worrying, the antisipation, which sometimes can be worse then the actual fear itself. The 3rd and 4th stanza are more about our burdens that we carry. Some are worse then others, but we always hope for them to be small, for that makes them so much more easier to carry, but that isn't always the case. I believe that last stanzas to be more about overcoming our fears. We all have our fears, but there is always that great sense of accomplishment when we finally overcome them.
I really liked the personification of fear in this poem. I think it makes sense to think about fear as a person. A person I can handle. Somebody with a name--Mr. Fear. He's not so tough! ;)
ReplyDelete