The houses are haunted
By white night-gowns.
None are green.
Or purple with green rings,
Or green with yellow rings,
Or yellow with blue rings,
None of them are strange
With socks of lace
And beaded ceintures.
People are not going
To dream of baboons and periwinkles.
Only, here and there, an old sailor,
Drunk and asleep in his boots,
Catches tigers
In red weather.
-Wallace Stevens
I decided to do this poem in light of halloween being this week. It felt kind of like it had some of the halloween spirit in it, since it started with the houses are haunted. OoOo very creepy haha. This poem is very descriptive, it talks about what the haunted thing could not be instead of just saying what it is, which is quite interesting. It makes it different, makes it so I have to think about this poem more. The part that made me laugh was where it said 'None of them are strange with socks of lace" because someone wearing lacey socks would not scare or make me feel like I was being haunted. When I think of being haunted I think of the 4 haunted houses I went to last week and how the things that did actually scare me werent lacy at all they were way more frigtening and many people would just jump out at me to scare me. However If someone were to jump out at me wearing lacy socks then I would probably laugh instead of scream, but then again laughing is a good thing to do and I did laugh a lot at the haunted houses. It seems that I laugh a lot when I get scared so maybe I'm afraid of lacy socks? hahaha ;)
You had too much fun with this one! :D
ReplyDelete