Tuesday, April 12, 2011
What the nirror said
listen, you a wonder. you a city of a woman. you got a geography of your own. listen, somebody need directions to move around you. listen, woman, you not a noplace anonymous girl; mister with his hands on you he got his hands on some damn body! - Lucille Clifton This is another poem by Lucille Clifton. Two times in a row and there is a third in this packetas well. I feel like this poem is the male perspective of a woman. Men find women to be very confusing, so there are often jokes about needing a roadmap to figure women out and how they should act with us. Also some men use women only for pleasure, which I feel that this poem is saying at the end. The structure is very unusual. Its one big long stanza like a series of thoughts all clunged together. I feel that the way Clifton structured this poem, that she intended some words to get more emphasis then others like the word listen (repeated 3 times). I think she did this to show that sometimes what we see and believe isn't always what is happening till you look at it in a different way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The nirror??
ReplyDeleteI think your last line captures the idea behind the mirror. It takes a different perspective sometimes, yes?