In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said: "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter-bitter," he answered;
"But I like it
because it is bitter,
and because it is my heart."
Jacey and I decided to pick this poem as the poem to teach to the class. It is a rather unusual poem, It doesnt have a title and its quite short and random, but I believe it to have a lot of meaning in it and that it may be viewed in many different ways. I think the meaning of this poem is Heartbreak. A bitter heartbreak in fact. I have read books dealing with heartbreak and bitter break ups and reading this poem has made me think of these books. The lines But i like it because it is bitter and because it is my heart really shows that feeling to me of a sweet bitterness. Heartbreak happens, but its something that everyone will have to deal with in their own way, some people cry and wallow in self pity, others rebound fast and others joke about it. There is also the expression of eat your heart out and that made be what this poem is about as well, since the character in this poem is literaly eating his heart out.
You ladies did a nice job. Good background research and info. :)
ReplyDeleteI really thought it was interesting that you thought the poem was about heart break. I really think it is strange how the mood you are in can change the way you interpret things. I read this poem again in a pretty down mood and it had a lot different meaning then when I was in a good mood. I think it's really interesting how you interpreted it much differently than I did, but I see exactly why you would interpret it this way at the same time.
ReplyDelete