Two girls discover
the secret of life
in a sudden line of
poetry.
I who dont know the
secret wrote
the line. They
told me
(through a third person)
they had found it
but not what it was
not even
what line it was. No doubt
by now, more than a week
later, they had forgotten
the secret,
the line, the name of
the poem. I love them
for finding what
I cant find,
and for loving me
for the line that I wrote
and for forgetting it
so that
a thousands times, till death
find them, they may
discover it again, in other
lines
in other
happenings. And for
wanting to know it,
for
assuming there is
such a secret, yes,
for that
most of all.
-Denise Levertov
I love this poem :) As I was reading this I thought of the two little girls in a kindergarten class I would help out in. They were together as much as possible and every once in a while I would see them whispering and giggling to themselves like they knew a secret. I always wondered what their secret was, but never did I ask. After reading this poem I start to wonder if these girls had discovered the secret to life. I wonder if that secret is happiness? I'll continue to wonder till I too discover this secret :)
Very fun! Maybe a little bit longer? How about the structure? Anything stand out about the way it's written? :)
ReplyDelete