Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Halo That Would Not Light

When after many years, the raptor beak
Let loose of you,

He dropped your tiny body
In the scarab-colored hollow

Of a carriage, left you like a finch
Wrapped in its nest of linens wound

With linden leaves in a child's cardboard box.

Tonight the wind is hover-

Hunting as the leather seats of swings go back
And forth with no one in them

As certian and invisible as
Red scarves silking endlessly

From a magician's hollow hat
And the spectacular castastrophe

Of your endless childhood
Is done
-Lucie Brock-Broido

When reading this poem I started thinking about all the people that I know who have died young, Trevor, Mark and my almost Cousin Emma. All of these people had their whole lives ahead of them but by some taste of fate their lives ended. Trevor went when he was a senior, Mark when he was a Junior and Emma, before she was born. Emma never even got a breath of air before her time was done. So this poem could be talking about her, for her halo did not light. She never got a chance. This poem was super powerful to me. It ment so much more to me because of Emma. It makes me very thankful for what I have and makes me really value everything because after all no one know how much time we have or when our time will come so we should enjoy it while we can. And so I will end this particular blog with a personal quote of mine that I think will end up being my senior quote,
Life is too short to be anything but happy so
Live life to the fullest
Laugh until your belly hurts and
Love always!

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. The personal connection makes it so much more powerful.

    ReplyDelete